All ELM 5.5.95 and later products
When installing ELM, you receive a pop-up indicating an Unsupported Setup Configuration. This may occur even when logged on as a member of the local Administrators group.
User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 2008/Vista/Windows 7 can prevent the proper installation of ELM components.
There are a few options for launching the ELM install with local Administrator rights:
- Turn off UAC
- Logon as the local Administrator
Start the ELM installation from an elevated command prompt
This KBA details the 3rd option. That is, a command prompt running in the security context of the local administrator account.
1) Make sure the local Administrator account is enabled and that you know the password for it.
2) Click the Start button and select the Start Search field.
3) Enter cmd in the field, give Windows a moment to find it, then right-click cmd in the list of programs, and select Run as administator.
4) Provide credentials for the local Administrator account.
5) In the Administrator command window, change to the directory with the ELM install package and start it. Follow the Wizard as you would normally.
Runas is not recognized by Windows 2008/Vista/Windows 7 for .msi files, but executables can be elevated. So by starting cmd.exe in the local Administrator security context, and then using it to start the ELM .msi package, the ELM install will inherit the security context of Administrator.
If ELM needs to be uninstalled (unlikely, in our estimation), then use these steps to re-start the ELM install package with elevated permissions. It will find the current ELM installation, and provide an option for uninstalling.
Last Modified: 12/2/2010
Last Reviewed: 12/2/2010
Article Type: Security