ELM Enterprise Manager 7.5 supports the in-place upgrade from both ELM Enterprise Manager 6.7 and ELM Enterprise Manager 7.0. This process preserves the current settings and configurations.
The first step in the process is to update the installed version of ELM to its terminal build if necessary. These final releases include all the fixes and enhancements accumulated over the version life cycle. In addition, these are the only fully supported upgrade paths to ELM 7.5.
ELM Enterprise Manager 6.7
ELM Enterprise Manager 7.0
- Confirm the ELM Enterprise Manager 6.7 or 7.0 license is under an active Support and Maintenance Agreement. To check, go to the ELM Server Properties-Licensing tab in the ELM Console. The Expiration Date is listed. If it has expired, it will appear in red.
- To verify the expiration date is current, use the Edit/Activate button and Activate the Serial Number. This will update the Expiration Date.
- To purchase an upgrade or renew the Support and Maintenance Agreement, contact Sales
- Confirm the current installation is running either ELM Enterprise Manager 188.8.131.52 or ELM Enterprise Manager 184.108.40.206. The build number is available in the About ELM Enterprise Manager… under Help on the MMC toolbar. If a previous version is installed, Contact Product Support for access to the terminal build installation package. Download and save the file on the ELM Server system.
- Download the current version of ELM Enterprise Manager 7.5. The .exe installation package is available after a short registration on our Product Downloads page. Save it on the ELM Server system.
Note: New Reporting Engine Special Requirements
If you have created any custom reports that cannot be recreated from an Event View you must contact TNT Software Support and request that they be converted or they will be lost during the upgrade. ELM 7.5 features an entirely new reporting engine and we are more than happy to perform the report conversion for you.
Update (if required) the installed version of ELM to the terminal build of 6.7 or 7.0 mentioned above.
- Run the install package and follow the Setup Wizard. It will require acceptance of the licensing terms and execution of the Update button. This will update all of the ELM components running on the server. Open the updated ELM Console by selecting the Start Using ELM button. Return to the Setup Wizard and close it using the Finish button.
- Update all deployed Service Agents. From the ELM Console, expand Monitoring and Management, then the Agents and Monitors Library and right-click All Agents. From the context menu, select All Tasks and Reinstall Agents. Follow the Agent Deployment Wizard. It will launch the update process for all Service Agents currently deployed.
- Confirm all Agents have been updated to ELM 6.7.159 or ELM 7.0.203. The version is listed for each Agent in the All Agents viewing pane in the ELM Console.
- Create a backup copy of the ELM 6.7 or ELM 7.0 Directory (highly recommended). It is located at \Program Files (x86)\ELM Enterprise Manager
- Create a backup copy of the ELM Enterprise Manager Registry Settings (highly recommended if modifications were made)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE\ TNT Software \ ELM Enterprise Manager\ 6.7 -or- 7.0 \ Wizards
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE\ TNT Software \ ELM Enterprise Manager \ 6.7 -or- 7.0 \ Snapin \ Settings
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TNT Software \ ELM Enterprise Manager \ 6.7 -or- 7.0 \ Settings
- Run the EEM75 installation package as an Administrator. The Wizard will start up and identify the installed components. Add the Service Logon Password and agree to the ELM Enterprise Manager license terms. Upgrade Service Agents: This can be done automatically from the installer (recommended) or from the ELM Console later.
- Click the Upgrade button. This will upgrade all of the ELM components running on the server and all deployed agents (if selected).
- In limited cases, a server Restart may be required. It is only necessary if a specific operating system or database updates were installed. Use the Restart button on the last page of the Wizard.
- On the final Install Successful page of the Wizard, confirm the ELM Console and ELM Management Console are selected. They will automatically open when the Finish button is clicked.
- Confirm all Agents have been upgraded to ELM 7.5. Their version is listed on the All Agents results pane in the ELM Console. Or, if Upgrading Agents was not selected in the installation wizard, from the ELM Console, expand Monitoring and Management then Agents and Monitors Library and right-click All Agents. From the context menu, select All Tasks and Reinstall Agents. Follow the Agent Deployment Wizard, it will automate the update process for the deployed Agents. Click Finish to complete the Agent upgrade process.
- Enjoy ELM 7.5!
Upgrading Remote ELM Components
When ELM Consoles are installed on computers other than the ELM Server system, they must be upgraded locally. This in-place upgrade is supported for any version of ELM 6.7 or ELM 7.0. The terminal versions do not have to be installed.
In addition, when ELM Console is upgraded, the ELM Management Console will also be installed. It will require a specific configuration to communicate with the ELM Server.
The upgrade procedure is as follows:
- Save a copy of the ELM 7.5 installation package on the system with the ELM components installed. The version should be the same as the one installed on the ELM Server system.
- Open EEM75 .exe installation package and run as an Administrator. Accept the licensing terms.
- Select the Upgrade button and run the Startup Wizard. Follow the Wizard and at the end select the ELM Console and ELM Management Console before clicking the Finish button. The ELM Console and ELM Management Console will open.
- From the ELM Console, right-click on ELM Enterprise Manager and select “Connect to the ELM Server” from the context menu. Enter the server name where the ELM Server is installed.
- Connect the ELM Management Console to the ELM Server system. Select the top Application Menu tab in the ELM Management Console, go to New, Server, and Connection. It will open a Server Connect tab. Enter the ELM Server name in the Resolvable Name Field and confirm the availability of the Port selection. Then click the Finish button below the Message box.