All ELM 5.x/6.x products.
You are relocating the ELM Server to new hardware.
- The database is on another server and is not going to be moved/changed.
- If you need to move the ELM database, refer to KBA How to Move an ELM SQL Database.
- The new ELM Server is not required to maintain the same name or IP address as the previous server.
If you use the same serial number and update the Service Agents following the migration, the Agents will identify the ELM Server by that serial number and stop sending data to the old ELM Server name, and begin sending data to the new ELM Server name.
- If a back-out plan is desired, use the optional steps below (marked with an ‘*’) to create fallback files and settings.
- In the Procedure section below, the x in ExMSVR.DAT is represented by the following products:
- ELM Enterprise Manager = EEMSVR.DAT
- ELM Log Manager = ELMSVR.DAT
- ELM Log Monitor = EVMSVR.DAT
- ELM Performance Manager – EPMSVR.DAT
- On the old computer, make a copy of the ExMSVR.DAT in ..\Program Files\ELM [version].
- * Export the ELM Server to an XML file.
- * Export the registry hives: ◦HKLM\Software\TNT Software
- HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\TNT Software
- HKCU\Software\TNT Software
- * Make Backup copies of the following files: ◦..\Program Files\ELM [version]\appSettings.xml
- ..\Program Files\ELM [version]\databaseSettings.xml
- Install and configure ELM on the new computer, copy the serial from the old server to the new, and activate ELM.
- Stop the ELM Server service on the new computer.
- On the new computer, rename ExMSVR.DAT TO ExMSVR.ORIG and copy the ExMSVR.DAT from Step 1 into the ELM folder.
- Delete ExMSVR.BAK
- Start the ELM Server service.
- If you have scheduled and/or completed reports, make a copy of the Reports folder and contents, place them in the same directory on the new install.
…Program Files\ELM [version]\WebSite\Reports
- Service Agents must now be updated so that they know the new ELM Server Name.
Open the ELM Console, right-click on the ‘All Agents’ container, and select All Tasks | Update All Agent Configurations .
Last Modified: 3/25/2011
Last Reviewed: 3/25/2011
Article Type: Informational